Kirklees residents can now get a fantastic discount on a range of home composters thanks to a new partnership between Kirklees Council and Original Organics.
Residents who care about the environment and want to do their bit to cut down on waste can choose either a Green Johanna composter, a Three Tray Tiger Wormery or Bokashi bins to compost kitchen food waste; and get (insert discount figure/percentage here)
Whether you use a Green Johanna, Wormery, or Bokashi Bin, you know you will be making a personal contribution to improving the environment and helping to reduce our impact on climate change.
There are many benefits to composting food and garden waste:
• It makes good use of what would otherwise be thrown away
• It improves the quality of garden soil and helps maintain its PH levels
• Compost absorbs water, which makes for healthier plants and crops
• Using home-made compost means buying less chemical-based plant feed
Each one of our composters employs an individual method, but the basic principles are the same.
The Green Johanna is perfect for recycling all garden and food waste – including unwanted cooked food, bones, meat and fish. It is a hot composter, which means it is generally faster at producing usable compost than a traditional composter. It uses aerobic decomposition - that is when organic material is exposed to oxygen, which helps to speed up the breakdown of waste products. Compost production in a hot composter can be as quick as 12 weeks, so if you’re looking for a fast and efficient composting solution, you can’t go wrong with the Green Johanna.
• Made from 100% recycled plastic and produced in the UK
• Rated 5 out of 5 by BBC Gardener’s World “Ideal for anyone who wants a low maintenance composter with good capacity”.
• Works all year round – even in winter.
• No horrible odours or stenches.
• Ideal if you’re producing medium to large amounts of food and garden waste.
• Full instructions and aerator stick included
Wormeries, or vermicomposters, are a different type of composting system which relies on the use of worms, specifically tiger worms (Eisenia fetida), to break down organic matter. Tiger worms, unlike earthworms, spend most of their life inhabiting topsoil, and don’t tend to burrow deep into the ground. This makes them ideal for composting in trays, as the shallow environment mimics the earth in which they dwell.
- Perfect for disposing of household food waste, and small amounts of garden waste
- Produces the most nutrient rich compost available
- Educational and fun for kids to get involved with
- Full instructions included
18L Double Bokashi Composter Kit with 2kg Bokashi Bran
A bokashi composter is a great solution for homes with small or non-existent gardens. An easy, no-smell and less messy method of home composting, bokashi composting is a quick fermentation process, originating in Japan. Unlike most other forms of composting, you can add anything to your bokashi bin—including meat and dairy, and you won’t need to turn its contents.
Most bokashi composters are small enough to fit on your kitchen counter, or cupboard, meaning that you can make it part of your kitchen routine when clearing food waste. Simply add your food waste to the bokashi bin with a handful of bokashi bran (a substance filled with beneficial microorganisms) and close the airtight lid. Over time the mix will ferment and start to change. After a few weeks it can be added to your compost bin or dug into your garden soil to continue to break down.
- A great source of nitrogen – essential for plant growth
- Perfect for small scale composting, or for homes with small gardens
- Less messy than traditional composting
- Great for maintaining soil moisture in your garden
- Full instructions included